Sunday, May 10, 2009

Catching Up:
Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand + Kitty Raises Hell, by Carrie Vaughn
My rating: @@@


Apologies. Really should have written my wrap-up review as soon as I finished reading Kitty Raises Hell, if not Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand. So this may be a little thinner than usual ...

Here is what I can tell you. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand and Kitty Raises Hell are pretty much parts 1 and 2 of a story. I suspect this is why they were released so close together (February then March 2009). Both are quick and easy reads.

Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty" series books are not deep, but they're nowhere near the vapid fluff-level silliness of that Succubus in the City story I reviewed a few posts back. I'd call them more of an escapist light adventure for people with brains. She introduces a few new characters set against the backdrop of the surrealist Las Vegas strip. Throw in an attempted wedding, a gun show, a really old vampire and some politics and you have the storyline of these two books together.

I definitely did enjoy them. Will I remember the detail enough to be able to tell you what happened a year from now? Probably not.

But on a positive note, at least I'll be able to read them again if I'm so inclined!

Pick up Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand at Amazon.ca

Pick up Kitty Raises Hell at Amazon.ca

No comments: